I have created an epic list of 100 blog post ideas and prompts designed to help inspire you to write your next blog post.
If you have been following my previous blogging tips on how to create a content strategy, how to create an editorial calendar, how to brand your blog, and how to define your blog’s core purpose, you should be well on your way to refining and focusing the content you produce for your blog.
I created this list of blog post ideas and prompts because even the best bloggers need some inspiration now and then.
Bloggers are incredible.They write and create on a regular basis, providing entertaining, inspiring and educational content. They freely give their insights and knowledge to so many people.
But as bloggers, like many creative folk, we sometimes get into a bit of a blog rut. Our ideas run dry, we feel uninspired, the right words don’t come or we are just not in the mood for creating something new.
For some of us, this can be a cause for panic, especially when you’ve committed yourself to producing content on a regular basis. Sometimes it can just be a real downer when you want to blog but just can’t find the inspiration.
I worked super hard to put together this epic list in the hope it inspires your next blog post and future editorial planning.
Sometimes it helps to try new topics or formats. Other times it helps just to have a different starting point. This list offers prompts and ideas for you to take to your blog and interpret in your own unique way.
This list is designed to be an inspirational resource for you to dip into when you need new ideas and prompts for your blog.
There are 100 prompts to choose from, so hopefully you will find something to pique your interest and create a fresh new blog post.
The blog post ideas and prompts are divided into sections that differ in approach. Some may work for you better than others depending on how you work best creatively, as well as your particular blogging niche.
Some prompts are recommended formats, others are broader themes and some are specific topics. Pick and choose to suit your style. Or, if you’re in a particular blog rut, try something totally different to your usual schtick, you might find that an opposite approach stokes your creative spark.
My intention is to ignite your creativity in as many different ways as possible. Coupled with your expertise in your niche these prompts should help you find new ways to approach your chosen themes.
100 BLOG POST IDEAS AND PROMPTS
Think About Format
1. How-To’s / Tutorials
5. Commentary / Opinion
6. Lists (my epic lists here)
7. Announcements / Latest news
9. Slideshare /Prezi / Presentation
10. Contest / Competition
11. Giveaway (different to above)
12. Host a linkup
13. Host a guest post
14. Photo diary
16. Record a podcast
17. Day in the life
18. Create a regular series
19. A guide to where you live/work/holiday
20. Compare and contrast two or more similar products/services/places
21. Gift ideas / shopping guide
22. Profile companies
23. Profile peers
25. Write a guest post for somebody else
26. Collaborate with peers
What Do Your Readers Want?
27. Answer a question from a reader (maybe they asked in a comment or tweet?)
28. Respond to feedback or criticism
29. Expand on each of your FAQ questions (you could write a blog post per question)
30. Actually ask readers what they want to see (run a survey, ask on social media)
31. Use analytics to find your most popular post of all time and write a follow up
Jumping Off Points
32. Lessons learned from a mistake
33. Something you learned from a book/tv show/film/play/piece of art
34. Use a press release to inspire you
35. Look up inspiring quotes
36. Think about seasonal or holiday approaches to content
37. Use a twitter hashtag or conversation as a starting point
38. Set up Google Alerts for your niche
39. Response to TV show
41. Refer to another post and article by somebody else and give your opinion
42. Repurpose old content – can you turn a newsletter, video or podcast into a post?
43. Recap a twitter chat
44. List popular blog posts – of the year or a category
Sharing is Caring
45. Special project you’re working on at home
46. Project at work
47. Profile client, business or peer
48. Conduct a case study
49. Announce an award you have won
50. Share emotional insights, get personal
51. Share a secret
52. Reveal a flaw
53. New skills (what have you learned recently?)
54. Share a recipe
55. DIY or craft tutorial
56. Goal list – where you want to be in the future
57. List of things your readers don’t know about you
58. Share your bad/questionable habits
59. Tell a funny story
60. Write a fictional short story
61. Share a poem
62. Tongue-in-cheek or funny post
63. Controversial post
64. What don’t you know? – use blogging as an excuse to research and chart your progress
65. Give readers a freebie – ebook, infographic, cheat sheet
66. Tour of your space – work or home
67. Create a piece of art and share it
68. Share your manifesto for life/your niche
69. The internet loves GIFS!
70. Be optimistic about bad news
71. Freewriting what’s on your mind
Events and Activities
72. Upcoming events
73. Recap event, conference, workshop you attended
74. Obscure holidays
75. Start a month-long project and invite readers to join
Be Helpful and Informative
76. Predictions for the year to come within your niche
77. Comment on any previous predictions
78. Demystify popular opinions and beliefs
79. Best tools and resources in your niche
80. Share your secret strategies for success in life or your niche
81. How to do something faster or better (think life hacks)
82. Use analogies to share ideas or teach something
83. Research the history of something related to your niche
84. How NOT to do something
85 How to avoid mistakes in your niche
86. Break some news
87. Conduct a survey of your readers and share the result
88. An open letter to your 13/16/21 year-old self
89. The most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done
90. Fantasy dinner party
91. Pets – the internet loves pets
92. An ode to something or someone you love
93. Your bucket list
94. Reverse bucket list – awesome stuff you’ve already done
95. Photo study of objects in your life
96. Write about a cause / raise awareness
97. What would you do if you won the lottery
98. How to shop for something
99. Favourite or recent travel stories
100. How you would react in a hypothetical situation
Phew! That is 100 blog post ideas and prompts for you.
I hope that list helps you on your blogging journey! Let me know if you use any of the blog post ideas or prompts. I’d love to see what you come up with.
Would you like to download this list?
If you like this post, save it to Pinterest: