This weekend I made another yummy, scrummy comfort-food dish – Fajitas! I recommend you pour yourself a Mexican Mule (tequila, lemonade and squeeze of lime) to start with and then follow this easy-peasy recipe. Just like the Stir-Fries I make, the focus is mainly on the prep and then throw it all together with some spices and a special ingredient!
1. Simply whizz up a can of tomatoes in the blender, add to a small pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Add a dash of the Fajita spices (I like the Discovery brand, personally), allow to reduce slightly and keep warm until ready to serve.
FAJITAS (to serve approx 6) Ingredients
4 Chicken Breasts thinly sliced
1 Large Onion
2 Peppers, Red and Yellow
3 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
1 packet of Fajita Spice Mix
Splash of Tequila
Corn Tortillas (Warmed slightly) to serve
1. Prepare and chop all the ingredients.
2. Marinade the chicken with the packet of Fajita spice – really get your hands in the bowl and massage the spices in before placing the bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes (Chicken absorbs marinade relatively quickly).
3. Heat oil in the wok and fry chicken until slightly browned and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. Add a little more oil and fry the onion for 3 minutes before adding the peppers and garlic. Keep stirring to move the heat through the vegetables and prevent over-browning.
5. Add the cooked chicken back into the wok and heat through on a medium heat.
6. Add the juice of 2 limes and stir.
7. Add a splash of good quality tequila and turn up the heat for a few minutes to cook off the alcohol.
8. Serve with warmed corn (or flour) tortillas, salsa sauce, guacamole and soured cream. Also, you can serve with plain or cheesy nachos for some extra texture with your meal.