Working from home I am always looking to keep my lunch options interesting. If I don’t make an effort then I will probably just end up eating peanut butter on toast every day. And trust me, I can probably eat that on a daily basis forever if left to my own devices! #PBforlife
However, given that variety is the key to life … or something. Or rather variety is important to a healthy, nutritious diet, I try to alternate my lunch options and add new ideas in whenever inspiration strikes.
That’s where today’s recipe comes in! This is my current go-to, make-yourself-feel-like-you-are-in-a-cute-hipster-brunch-spot recipe. Full disclosure, I was challenged by Genius, the folks that make the gluten-free bread and other baked products, to come up with the recipe. But I was already set as this was on my list beforehand.
May I present to you, Coconut Garlic Prawn and Guacamole Bagel. You can thank me later.
This just works.
If you like the ingredients mentioned, and I’m hoping you do if you clicked through to this post, you will love this. It’s sweet, creamy, mildly spicy and all round delicious. It takes no more than 5 minutes to make and will make you feel pretty darn smug that you made this at home and not spent/lost £10 on buying this at you local lunch spot.
You simply add a little coconut oil to a small frying pan, cook the prawns before stirring in some garlic puree. Meanwhile whip up the guacamole, toast your bagel and voila!
The bagels I used to do are the gluten-free plain bagel from Genius. They have a great range of gluten-free baked products including bread, bagels and pancakes. If you’re averse to gluten they would be an ideal range for you to check out.
With the bread I didn’t notice too much difference in taste, the bagel however was a slightly sweeter flavour than usual. My only comment would be that both packets I sampled did have large holes in the product in some places, I don’t know if that’s because of the lack of gluten, but worth bearing in mind.
To the recipe!
Coconut Garlic Prawn and Guacamole Bagel (serves 1)
- 6-8 King Prawns, uncooked
- 1tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Puree
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Avocado, flesh scoped out
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice, to taste
- 1/4 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Bagel, lightly toasted
- To prepare the guacamole simply combine all of the ingredients and mash together with a fork.
- In a small frying pan melt the coconut oil until almost smoking, add the prawns and cook on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side. Add the garlic puree, stir for 30 seconds then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble to guacamole on top of the toasted bagel before carefully placing the prawns on top.
this post is in collaboration with Genius. as always, words and opinions are my own. thanks for supporting rosalilium!